Monday 11 November 2013

The Squeaky Toy

I'm one of those people who have to keep their bedroom very dark - not because I can't sleep when it starts to get light but, rather, my dogs can't (yes, I know - dogs shouldn't sleep in the bedroom...not the point here). The moment there is a hint of light in the room, they are awake, on full alert, watching for that first flutter of an eyelid and then - -BAM! It's the first second of the first minute of the first day of the rest of your life!

With the excitement being generated, one would think they were both just shown the open door to a fully stocked butcher shop and welcomed in. Running, jumping, barking, chasing....it's manic!

Then it's a race to see who can first locate the squeaky toy - this disgusting, chewed up fluoro-green sausage-looking thing. The interesting bit about this toy is that, although it is pretty ragged looking, they have yet to manage to destroy it and rip its guts out like all their other toys...and it squeaks....LOUDLY! It becomes the main focus of the morning like a celebration of life. Whichever one has the squeaky toy parades all over the house chewing and squeaking the damn thing continuously - even pushing it into the other's face, mockingly.

Meanwhile, I am barely dragging myself out of bed, wondering how it got to be Monday so soon or is only Wednesday and why I wasn't born rich instead of so good looking (or some such thing).

So, I started thinking, "Why don't I have a squeaky toy?" What is my thing that makes me want to race out of bed in the morning and celebrate?

Many people will say, "I can't believe you are complaining." Well, I'm not....really. I have it pretty good - I have a great life and I am truly blessed with many "things"- amazing experiences, opportunities and options. But, I'd still like to have a squeaky toy.

I'm sure it's there and I just haven't found it this morning. It's probably under the bed or stuffed behind a sofa cushion, right where I left it. It could be in plain sight but in my rushing around or complaining about it being Tuesday -  I missed it.

Do you have a squeaky toy? Maybe I could borrow yours for a few minutes but then, it would always be YOUR squeaky toy. I think it's important for everyone to have one of their own. There would be a lot of noise in the morning but, then again, that's a lot better than wandering around in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment